Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Terror by Night - My Halloween Story

Terror By Night
No longer a child, not quite a teen,
I was determined to enjoy this last Halloween.
My body was changing; my hips were now shapen,
Unaware what these changes awakened.
Twelve years old on the verge of womanhood,
Collecting candy, racing through the neighborhood.
Kids in the front, tweens at the rear,
Teenage boys hovering near.
Twelve and naïve, unaware of being stalked,
I laughed with my friends as we continued to walk.
I stopped for a moment, at the pinch on my rear,
Thinking I had imagined it, I had nothing to fear.
The next touch I felt was more confident and bolder,
I turned to face a boy that was older.
The look on his face sent chills up my spine,
As he whispered to me, “You are mine”.
Frightened into silence, unable to speak,
My legs wouldn’t move, my heart became weak.
I whispered “Stop”, finally finding my voice
As he grinned at me, I made a choice.
Endure his punishment or run for my life,
I had to decide, fight or flight.
Afraid to run home, afraid to leave the pack
I was not sure if I’d make it back.
Desperately running to keep up with my friends,
Wishing to God that this night would end.
The more I ran, the more he neared,
Desperately trying to protect my rear.
If he had caught me, didn’t know what he’d have done;
I just knew in my heart that it wouldn’t be fun.
Not understanding why he’d treat me this way,
He was the wolf, I was his prey.
I ducked and darted as his grip became bolder,
Suddenly realizing that I was older.
No longer a girl, but nearing womanhood,
As seen by the boys of my neighborhood.
Just as my strength was giving away,
He grew tired of chasing his prey.
He surveyed my body and whispered, “Next time”,
Then rejoined his friends at the back of the line.
A victim of lust, a pawn in his game,
I never viewed teenage boys the same.
That last Halloween was not filled with joy.
Pursued by a wolf disguised as a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment